Sensitively converting a former school site of 140+ years, located in a conservation area to 118 residential units
Corstorphine & Wright Architects
Transforming this complex site in the heart of Warwick came with its challenges. Converting listed buildings, including some demolition, and adding 118 new residential units in a way that would be approved by Warwick District Council, Historic England and the local community - was a challenge our heritage experts could deliver on.
We were appointed by Corstorphine & Wright Architects on behalf of their private client to bring forward a viable residential scheme, whilst being respectful to the historic and Grade II and II* listed buildings on the site.
A location of real local interest, and with our project lead being a former conservation officer herself, we were best placed to robustly research the site, to guide the architects’ planning proposals - identify and mitigate any potential contentious areas and outline the likely planning conditions early.
Working with Warwick District Council, Historic England and the local community and within the client’s tight timescale, we successfully negotiated with the Council, getting them onboard over just two pre-applications, and negotiated with Historic England who commented that they had confidence in the scheme and saw real value in the extent of our work.
Listed building protection was important, but it was also a delight to be able to save the students messages in a small cupboard from the 1950’s.