Our planning team in Scotland continually monitors the status of Strategic and Local Development Plans (SDPs and LDPs).
Every month, we provide you with the latest updates on SDP / LDP adoptions and pending consultations, which may lead to development opportunities.
We hope that you find the information useful and if you have any queries, please do get in touch!
- Development Plan Scheme (DPS) - sets out a programme for preparing and reviewing local authority LDPs. These documents are generally reviewed once a year and provide updates on the LDP's progress.
- Call for Sites (CfS) - the first formal stage of the LDP process. Local authorities invite applications from landowners (or individuals with an interest in land) for allocation of land for housing, mixed use, employment etc.
- Main Issues Report (MIR) - a key stage in the consultation process, documenting the pertinent changes and issues facing the local authority since the previous plan was adopted
- Proposed Local Development Plan (PLDP) - representative of the local authority's views, but not yet approved by Scottish Ministers.
- Local Development Plan (LDP) - sets out the vision and strategy for development in one local authority area.
- LDP Adoption - the final stage in the LDP process, whereby the plan is fully implemented.
- Strategic Development Plan (SDP) – representative of the region's view on development (across many local authorities).
- Division of Planning and Environmental Appeals (DPEA) – a Scottish Government division responsible for the administration of over 20 different types of casework.
- Supplementary Guidance (SG) – expands on existing policies found within LDPs. Local authorities publish SG documents on various topics which are often referred to when assessing relevant planning applications.
Aberdeen City Council – DPS Update
As reported in last month’s update the pre-MIR consultation phase remains open until Monday 28th May 2018.
Comments are invited on any issues considered significant to the city, and any comments received will inform a MIR which is set for publication later in 2018.
Aberdeen City & Shire - SDP
The consultation period for the Aberdeen City and Shire Strategic Development Plan MIR, focusing on a review of the SDP adopted in March 2014, has now closed. Several issues have been identified, including the spatial strategy, regional economy, housing and employment land.
The Highland Council
Following recent feedback we felt it appropriate to include an update on the status of the Highland-wide LDP and associated Local Plans:
- The Highland-wide PLDP is essentially ‘on hold’ until the implications of the Scottish Planning Bill are clearly understood.
- The Caithness and Sutherland LDP was submitted to Scottish Ministers on 6th April 2017 and the Report of Examination has now been received by The Highland Council. The report is due to be considered on 28th June 2018, and should the plan subsequently be adopted, this will replace the Sutherland Local Plan and the Caithness Local Plan.
- The Inner Moray Firth LDP was adopted in July 2015.
- The West Highland and Islands LDP is set to be adopted towards the end of 2018 and will replace the West Highlands and Islands Local Plan, the Wester Ross Local Plan, and the Ross and Cromarty East Local Plan.
Inverclyde Council recently published the PLDP and representations are invited until 29th June 2018. If you would like to make a representation or discuss the PLDP further, please contact the Bidwells planning team directly.
North Ayrshire Council
North Ayrshire Council recently published the PLDP, which is available to view online. Comments are invited until 29th June 2018. There will be drop-in sessions throughout North Ayrshire, aimed at providing further information regarding the PLDP.
Should you wish to make a representation or discuss any aspect of the PLDP further, please do not hesitate to contact the team at Bidwells.
Perth & Kinross Council
A report on the representations received to the PLDP will be considered by the Council on 29th August 2018. During this process councillors will be asked to agree a response to the issues raised, prior to submission to Scottish ministers for examination.
Stirling Council has announced their intention to adopt the modified LDP following DPEA examination, unless ministers direct Stirling Council not to do so within a 28 day period. Adoption of the LDP is therefore anticipated to occur mid-June 2018. The LDP and supporting documents are available online - please do get in touch with us if there are any aspects you wish to discuss.
West Lothian Council
Following publication of the DPEA’s principal Report of Examination in December 2017, on 22nd March 2018 West Lothian Council resolved to accept all of the modifications recommended within the Report of Examination, and agreed to adopt the LDP (as modified). The LDP has since been submitted to Scottish ministers for consideration and has entered the adoption stage.
It is incredibly important to make written representation at an early stage in the preparation of LDPs, as this maximises the opportunity for your development aspirations to be realised. Bidwells would be delighted to make representations on your behalf and our planning team are available to discuss any development opportunities you may be considering.
For clear, rationalised representations on any of the above, please do not hesitate to get in touch.