Welcome to the first Development Plan Update for 2018!
- Call for Sites - the first formal stage of the LDP process. Local authorities invite applications from landowners (or individuals with an interest in land) for allocation of land within the LDP.
- Main Issues Report (MIR) - a key stage in the consultation process, documenting the pertinent changes and issues facing the local authority since the previous plan was adopted.
- Proposed Local Development Plan (PLDP) - representative of the local authority's views, but is yet to be approved by Scottish Ministers.
- Local Development Plan (LDP) - sets out the vision and strategy for development in one local authority area.
- LDP Adoption - the final stage in the LDP process, whereby the plan is fully implemented.
- Strategic Development Plan (SDP) – representative of the region's view on development (across many local authorities).
- Division of Planning and Environmental Appeals (DPEA) – a Scottish Government division responsible for the administration of over 20 different types of casework.
- Supplementary Guidance (SG) – expands on existing policies found within LDPs. Local Authorities publish SG documents on various topics which are often referred to when assessing relevant planning applications.
Aberdeenshire Council – Call for Sites
Applications are invited from those who wish to have land allocated for housing, business or mixed-use development within the Aberdeenshire LDP 2021, which is expected to cover a ten-year period. Proposed sites must be submitted to Aberdeenshire Council by 31st March 2018. Bidwells would be delighted to assist in the preparation of a representation on your behalf in respect of your development aspirations.
Angus Council – Development Plan Scheme 2017-18
Following the adoption of LDP (2016), Angus Council published their Development Plan Scheme 2017-18, setting out indicative timescales for key stages in the preparation of LDP 2. Currently at the monitoring and evidence gathering stage, the council hopes to publish its MIR, if retained from LDP (2016), in June 2018. Following the publication of the Planning (Scotland) Bill 2017, the Development Plan Scheme 2017-18 will be reviewed early this year to amend timescales and incorporate further details, allowing it to tie in further with the Planning (Scotland) Bill.
The City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) – SG Adoption
The Statutory Guidance on Town Centres for Stockbridge (pictured above), Corstorphine, Gorgie / Dalry, Tollcross, Portobello, and Nicholson Street / Clerk Street was adopted on 20th December 2017, following a series of studies which investigated the public life of Edinburgh’s town centres.
These SG documents will provide information on how each town centre functions in terms of pedestrian and cyclist movement as well as how these centres function as a ‘place’. They also highlight improvements to be made to each town centre to maximise the quality of each environment, which will be used in the determination of relevant planning applications.
The Highland Council
The Highland-wide LDP (HwLDP)
The review of the HwLDP is on hold, therefore further delaying the publication of the Proposed LDP.
Highland Council is currently preparing an updated Development Plan Scheme to set out its plan-making intentions for 2018. This is expected to be considered at Committee on 1st February 2018. Bidwells will advise on the timescales in the coming months as they become clearer.
Draft Inverness East Development Brief
The Highland Council’s consultation on the Draft Inverness East Development Brief opened on 12th January 2018 and is expected to close on 9th March 2018. The Development Brief provides detailed land use requirements for the Inverness East city expansion areas and is based on the HwLDP policies and land allocations.
SG on Developer Contributions
Consultation for the SG on Developer Contributions (Highland-wide) also opened on 12th January 2018 and is expected to close on 9th March 2018. The SG will replace the 2013 edition and will be used as material guidance for the determination of planning applications within the Highland region.
Proposed Caithness and Sutherland LDP
The Proposed Caithness and Sutherland LDP was submitted to the DPEA at the start of April 2017. The DPEA updated this case and the expected date for an examination response is 2nd Februry 2018.
Publication of Related Documents
The Highland Council announced on 21st December 2017 that a package of related documents would be published which include; ‘Housing Land Audit’, ‘School Roll Forecasts’ and a nee ‘Delivery Programme for the Inner Moray Firth Area’. These documents provide updates on future development and housing delivery in the Highlands and will provide measures to support the delivery of schools and infrastructure.
Scottish Borders Council – Development Plan Scheme 2017
The Scottish Borders Council released their Development Plan Scheme 2017 at the end of last year. Following the adoption of LDP 2016, the council have commenced working on their PLDP 2 and are currently at the monitoring and evidence gathering stage. It is hoped the MIR will be published in the spring, with an MIR Consultation expected to take place in summer 2018 and the PLDP 2 published in winter 2019, before a formal representation period.
It is incredibly important to make written representation early in the preparation of LDPs, as this maximises the opportunity for your development aspirations to be realised. Bidwells would be delighted to make representations on your behalf in respect of your development aspirations.
For clear, rationalised representations on any of the above, please do not hesitate to get in touch.