laindon shopping centre
Bidwells has obtained planning permission for the redevelopment of the Laindon Shopping Centre, Basildon, to deliver a new mixed-use high street with shops, a neighbourhood food store, 244 new homes, new office space and a modern health centre. The scheme will be set within a new high-quality public realm. It will deliver major regeneration benefits by replacing a poorly designed, run-down 1960s centre.
What we did
- Provided an initial assessment of market demand
- Advised on the development of a suitable scale and mix of retail and commercial uses to inform the development of the proposal
- Provided a retail statement in support of the proposals
- Provided a robust Screening Option Request to demonstrate that EIA was not required, saving the project time and expense
- Provided a robust viability appraisal to support the application, securing Basildon Council’s agreement to 16% Affordable Housing provision to ensure the scheme remained viable
- Coordinated and submitted a full planning application on behalf of the client
- The committee praised the quality of the submission and resolution to grant was achieved well within the statutory 13 week determination period
- The scheme will have a major impact on the regeneration of Laindon and will provide a new focus for the community
- The development has won the ‘Best Regeneration’ category at the Housing Design Awards, with the judges commenting:
The winning entry was excellent, a great scheme that is both regenerative and visionary and brings residential and commercial uses together to create a new heart for the town.
home comprising houses and flats