HARWELL CAMPUS, OXFORDSHIRE
Bidwells project managed the delivery of Quad One, a new-build 37,673 sq ft three storey office and laboratory building; the first of four buildings set around a new quadrangle at Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire.
The project included the construction of a neighbouring single storey gym and café ‘pavilion’ building, which provides a centrepiece of the quad. The unique façade ‘fin’ design and tinted, textured glazing helps to set Quad One as a focal point to the campus' heart.
What we did
- Responded to client aspirations for the building to ‘make a presence’, both as the first of a phase of development and also given its prominent location near to site entrances.
- Project Manager for the delivery of the project from a concept scheme to a completed building.
- Worked to overcome budget and programme challenges.
- Provided solutions to demanding ground conditions.
- Resolved ecology and landscape issues.
- Developed a revised envelope design which was both buildable and affordable, whilst being desired by the client and Local Planning Authority.
- Established a robust tender and contract to fix construction costs, reduce client risks and fully align with client expectations.
- Created an attractive building, fully let and occupied within three months of completion.