The Dorothy Wadham Building will be a new £30m development of student accommodation on the Iffley Road designed for second year students.
The site will provide 135 ensuite bedrooms built in clusters with shared kitchen and dining areas. It will also have an internal courtyard garden, a TV lounge, computer room and laundry.
What we did
- We are project managing all aspects of the project. At the very start of the project, we led a competition with four leading architects to gain ideas for the building and to help the client to get a sense of what was possible on the site.
- The site was formerly a car showroom and garage, and has incurred a £1.5 m demolition and decontamination cost to remove underground 7 underground storage tanks as well as nearly £500,000 worth of asbestos.
- We continue to carry out extensive consultation with stakeholders, including students, to understand what they want from their accommodation. They have told us they want flexibility and the ability to personalise their rooms and move furniture around. We have built a full size mock-up of a room for students to interact with. We have reworked design layouts to incorporate their feedback.
- We have successful administrated the demolition contract to a successful completion with 2 HSE visits finding a total of 0 non-conformances
- We have successfully led the procurement, via a partnering procurement route, of a leading national contractor to carry out the main construction works which on the 30th October 2017 started successfully, now working towards a summer 2019 completion, as proposed by Bidwells in 2015
- We achieved planning permission for the development in January 2017, and, while we wrote the budget some two years ago, we have procured all services on budget.
- We’re proud of the way we have brought all stakeholders with us on the journey, enabling them to visualise key aspects of the building. We’ve created mock ups of students’ desks and birch sample panels to demonstrate finishes. By bringing parts of the project to life in this way, we have helped to make the project real for the client.
- With the completion of this project, Wadham is aiming to offer undergraduates starting in 2018 accommodation in College-owned sites throughout their time at Oxford. The new Dorothy Wadham Building will provide accommodation for the students 2nd academic year from September 2019 onwards.
Cost of demolition work involved