A global hub FOR R&D
Cambridge Biomedical Campus is internationally renowned, forming a cluster of high-end life science research and development facilities, and contributing to the wider Addenbrooke’s Hospital campus.
Created to transform their existing hub of research education and patient care, Bidwells worked with the landowner and promoter to create a world-class biomedical facility, enhancing the long-established Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
The site was already a hub of research, education and patient care but Addenbrooke’s formed a plan – called the 2020 Vision – to transform it into a world-leading biomedical centre to attract leading commercial organisations in the research and biomedical fields. Bidwells have advised since the beginning.
Liberty Property Trust and Countryside Properties were brought in as developers for the 3.1 million sq ft scheme. In 2010, the Medical Research Council signed a deal to house its Laboratory of Molecular Biology in a new 330,000 sq ft facility on the site – providing the scope to develop the infrastructure for the rest of the Campus.
But it was the choice of international biomedical research and pharmaceutical company, AstraZeneca, to relocate its global HQ to a 875,000 sq ft site on the Campus that was the game changer for this project. Addenbrooke’s 2020 Vision has already become a reality.
Our clients always had the vision of the Campus as a world-leading biomedical centre rather than a conventional science park. The Cambridge Biomedical Campus offers unrivalled facilities in a specially designed environment to enable companies to flourish in this fast-growing sector.
Will Heigham, Partner
What we did:
- We worked with the landowners and promoter to achieve outline planning consent for 215,000 sq m of floorspace
- We worked with stakeholders to achieve a development that would foster open working within a campus of high quality architecture and public realm
- We advised on the engagement of experienced developers to deliver the project
- Provided contract advice for the construction of the Laboratory of Molecular Biology and for AstraZeneca to relocate its HQ to the campus, occupying an 875,000 sq ft site
- We secured development funding and forward sale of the 100,000 sq ft pre-let to Abcam fr its new office/lab facility
- World-renowned occupiers have relocated to the site, and it is highly sought-after by potential tenants
- The campus provides unrivalled facilities , in an environment designed to foster world-leading research and development
- The success of this project has spearheaded the next phase – a further 75,000 sq ft of floorpspace, which Bidwells has led through the planning system
The size of AstraZeneca’s
new global HQ on
of Nobel Prizes with Cambridge University – more than the whole of France.