For Trinity College Cambridge
Bidwells undertook the dual roles of Architect / Lead Designer, Contract Administrator and Principal Designer whilst managing a team of M&E and Structural Engineers to design and deliver the CATA Refurbishment and new Entrance Extension of a 1990’s build to create circa 24,000 sq. ft of modern, fit for purpose CATA open plan office space.
What we did
- Extensively designed, remodelled and extended the footprint to create a new entrance extension, relocating the central core and services away from the office space, thus maximising net lettable area and creating flexible open plan floor prints to suit a modern occupier and provide a blank space to fit-out.
- The building was improved to meet current energy standards by the careful integration of modern VRF air conditioning with energy recovery units and low energy fittings. Elsewhere the Mechanical and Electrical plant was updated in line with the brief to provide the Landlord with a building capable of being single or multi-tenanted, to maximise the future letting opportunities.
- The new extension provided an opportunity to redefine the entrance and approach into the building, whilst creating a double-height atrium, finished with a feature steel and glass balustraded staircase and lighting to achieve a client experience into the building fit for a Cambridge office headquarters.
- Externally the façade of the building was put back into repair to reflect the disrepairs arising from the previous tenancy and modernised with new aluminium window and curtain walling to tie the old in with the new.
- The project was delivered on an extended 38-week programme, but still on budget despite numerous issues uncovered with fire safety which the Landlord rectified to the fullest.
- Bidwells managed the competitive single-stage tendering process on a traditional design on behalf of the client, ensuring that the design and specification of works were fully ascertained and budgeted to ensure that value for money was obtained, ensuring that the project was delivered at each stage in line with the original budget.
- Whilst the building is now capable of being multi-occupied, this was pre-let by Bidwells Office Agency team ahead of works completing on-site, to one Tenant occupier who will utilise it as their UK HQ, reflecting the quality of the specification.