FOR LAWES AGRICULTURAL TRUST
After many decades of housing Rothamsted’s experimental station’s offices, and then a long-term tenant, Rivers Lodge, a Grade II Listed property, had become tired and worn and the client had the vision to turn it into a modern office building.
Bidwells’ involvement from brief to completion included application for statutory consents, producing the schedule of works, tender management, contract administration and project management.
What we did
Refurbished the dilapidated Listed building which included the modernisation of mechanical and electrical services for modern office use, whilst taking into consideration the character and features of the building’s Listed status
Worked closely with the Conservation Officer to agree all works, repairs and any replacement of the building fabric
Replaced and concealed all heating pipework, which was difficult in a building with a mix of suspended timber and solid concrete floors
Worked closely with the contractor’s mechanical design team to agree on the appropriate design solutions
Diagnosed the defects caused by frost damage, internal damp and a large amount of asbestos, and advised on the appropriate repair solutions in line with the client’s requirements and scheme for the project and local authority consent
- Achieved the client’s brief from design stage to completion of works
- The client appreciated the quality of finish of the works and comprehensive management of the project
- The client has been comforted by the close working relationship between themselves and Bidwells
- The knowledge that the project was in capable and trustworthy hands gave the client peace of mind prior to completion.
- A tenant was acquired based on the design and proposed quality
Bidwells helped us to forecast the future of the building and spec the refurbishment accordingly. The output would have to appeal to modern business tenants and the heritage authorities.
Stephen James, CEO, Lawes Agricultural Trust
total project cost