The redevelopment of the Undergraduate Chemical Process Engineering Laboratory was initiated following a $1m alumni donation for the installation of a new test rig.
The university subsequently invested over £1m of capital funding to redevelop associated laboratories to provide state of the art teaching facilities and equipment.
What we did
- Developed a strategic phasing plan to ensure delivery of test rig for student use during refurbishment works
- Mitigated delay following the discovery of previously unknown asbestos materials
- Managed value engineering to deliver project within budget despite several unforeseen issues arising on-site.
- Student module ran seamlessly during works
- Reduced the impact of previously unknown issues saving delay costs to the client
- The project has transformed the undergraduate learning experience and driven the business case for a much larger phase two development of the Department of Chemical Process Engineering.